I have mixed feelings about comments.
On the one hand, I like comments. I like hearing what people have to say, especially as it regards my posts. I like informed and reasoned discussion with people who have read and made an effort to understand what I write. I like being prompted to think about what I wrote, and I’m even not opposed to changing my mind.
On the other hand, many Internet commenters tend to do the equivalent of barging into your house, invited or not, criticizing everything about it, writing the worst graffiti possible on the wall, drinking all your beer, and on the way out, taking a shit in the doorway.
The fact that I allow comments at all is the result of a significant amount of thought and angst on the subject.
But comments have been on for a while, and because I’ve only had a couple of bad actors, and most of the comments have been of high, thoughtful quality, I’m going to spend the time on this page outlining what the terms of commenting on this blog are.
I welcome your comment if:
- You have empathy for your fellow humans
- You know how to disagree without being disagreeable
- You have read and understand the post you are commenting on
- If you do not understand the post you are commenting on, you are willing to make an effort through dialog or discussion to understand the post you are commenting on
- You are not ideologically driven
- You are able to accept that this is a Christian blog and that I am not particularly interested in nonchristian worldviews. Been there, done that.
- You are able to accept that this is a Christian blog and that I am not particularly interested in denominational or religious worldviews.
- You understand the previous sentence.
Your comment is not welcome if:
- You have an axe to grind
- You cannot be civil
- You are ideologically driven
- You think you are more intelligent than you actually are
- You do not understand or care about the concept of ad hominem, and you don’t understand why it’s a bad thing
- You think that argument from fallacy proves anything
- Whichever ideology you are, you think the problem is “the other guys”, and the world would be so much better if they all disappeared
- You have not taken the time, or are not willing, to understand the post you are commenting on
- You are posting off-topic or spam comments
- You want me to convert to anything – and that includes atheism
- You want a debate. I do not debate.
I Peter 3:15 is a very important scripture to me. “Always be willing to give a defense for the hope that is in you”. And I’m willing to do so – if approached with respect. If you do not respect me, I will kick you to the curb. I may pray for you, but you’re not going to be welcome here. And I ask – no, I demand – that you respect that.
My house. My rules. I have no tolerance for “Internet commenters” anymore, and if you want to test me, make it good, because you’ll get one shot and one shot only.
All that said, I look forward to hearing from you.